Thursday, March 6, 2008

All Mixed Up....

Its hard being young, it’s hard growing up. Children go through so many things from kindergarten to High School, from afternoon naps to graduation. Children are picked on for being too short, being too tall, too thin, too fat, too pretty or not pretty enough. My grandmother (Dad’s side), always thought that I would be picked on for something different and that it would affect the woman I would become. I would overhear her talking to my parents about it, as if they could somehow change the child they had helped God to create. As a kid, I never saw myself as being different so I never understood what she was saying to them. Until one day a kid on the playground at school asked me, “What are you?” My response….. “I’m all mixed up!” I had overheard my grandmother say it. She had told my parents that I would be picked on and that I would have no self- esteem. WRONG!!!!!!!!! To this day I still get asked what I am, and I still have the same response. I love ‘what’ I am because that’s the way my parents raised me.

There are a lot of people out there who are ashamed of what they are, how they look and of what others think of them. The question, “Should we change ourselves?” comes to my mind. I’m all for change, self-improvement and enhancing who you are, but why are you making these changes? Change is for the purpose of following God’s plan, for self-gratification, for the betterment of your life and your children’s lives. The purpose of change is not to satisfy others or to become who they feel you should be.

So here’s my opinion, cause everyone’s entitled to it….
Change for God and change for you! Don’t lose weight cause some man told you that you weren’t thin enough, do it to be healthy. Enhance your life by doing what God instructs is right for you. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

BRITT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

girl, i can't tell you how many times i've had to answer that question, "what are you?" especially since i'm adopted and both of my parents have dark complexions. but its never been an with me personally, i always knew who i was. but for other people to look at me like i'm so much different or pass judgment on me before they get to know me has always baffled me. you get it from both sides...you're either not black enough or not white enough. but you know what...it seems to bother them more than me. so i'ma do me and not worry about what e'rybody else thinks! LOL

Blog Archive